2012年5月31日 星期四

慣用語法Idioms(9)


pass the buck(推卸責任)

A:How was the meeting?
B:Awful. Everyone tried to pass the buck for the project.

Or get rid of the buck


pay(someone) off(收買/賄賂)

A:I hope 1 million dollars will be enough.
B:I don't think you can pay him off.





Pick on(找麻煩)

A:What's wrong? You looked fussy.
B:Why is everyone picking on me today?

Or (someone) get on (one's) back



play(someone off) against another(挑釁離間)

A:Why did they have a fight?
B:Someone played them off against another.








Pour cold water on (someone/thing)(潑冷水)

A:What's wrong with you? Why don't you like to pour cold water on me?
B:I just want to protect you.

Or What do you like to discourage me?


(be) puffed up(擺架子)

A:She's puffed up for marrying a rich man.
B:I really can't stand it

Or She's showing off



pull a fast one on us but we outsmarted(想騙我們,還早呢)

A:Why did they leave so early?
B:Haha... They tried to pull a fast one on us but we outsmarted them.

Or Never want to pull a stunt on us




(to) pull a stunt(耍花樣)

A:Stop it. Don't pull a stunt on me again.
B:Hey, take it easy.

Or Don't play games on me again





Push too far(欺人太甚)

A:She pushed her sister too far.
B:I agree with you.

Or push too hard


Put (someone's) nose out of joint(使某人丟臉)

A:Her behavior put my nose put of joint.
B:Don't take it too hard.

Or lost my face because of (someone) behavior


Put (someone) on the spot(逼人走頭無路)

A:They'll give the money back. You put them on the spot.
B:How could you say that? I just want my money back.

Or You push (them) too hard


rip (something) off (someone) in board daylight(光天化日下順手牽羊)

A:Look at the man! He's ripping a pocket off the old lady in board daylight.
B:We should stop him.

Or He's walking away with old lady's pocket.








(to) sell (someone) down the river(出賣某人)

A:Mr. White knew our plans
B:Somebody sold us down the river.

Or Somebody had an inside job




sell (someone) short(出賣/低估某人)

A:Frank sold us short.
B:Really? He'll be dead.





Show off(炫耀)

A:Look at Cathy. She's showing off again.
B:But her clothes are in

Or She's riding on the crest of the wave


stood up(爽約)

A:Fill stood me up.
B:So are you upset to him?










Strike an attitude(擺架子)

A:I don't want to go out with you.
B:Young lady, don't even think of striking an attitude with me.

Or (be) puffed up



take (someone) for a ride(利用/欺騙)

A:The old man is taking the girl for a ride
B:Then what should we do?

Or take advantages of (someone)



take without giving(老佔便宜不付出)

A:Why did she have so many complaints?
B:She's always taking without giving.

Or take advantages of


two-timing(一腳踏兩船)

A:I don't know why Ann broke up with me.
B:She's two – timing you. Forget her.

Or She's two timer.

沒有留言:

張貼留言