2012年5月31日 星期四

慣用語法Idioms(18)


drown (one's) troubles(借酒消愁)

A:Why did Kevin lose so much weight?
B:After he was broken, he tried to drown his troubles in alcohol.

Or He tried to get drunk to forget his troubles.


Feel like a fool(覺得像個儍瓜)

A:It was just a joke. Don't take it so seriously.
B:But I feel like a fool

Or But it made me feel had.


(someone) get sore(生氣)

A:Why is he so angry?
B:He gets sore because his son sold his old car.

Or He get mad.


Give (me) a break(給我一個喘氣的機會)

A:It's your turn to do the laundry.
B:Give me a break. I've been working 10 hours in the office

Or Leave (me) alone



I don't give a damn(我才不在乎)

A:Your father is coming home. Let's put all the stuff away
B:I don't give a damn.

Or I don't care



let (someone) down(使人失望)

A:Your behavior let your parents down.
B:I don't think they care.

Or disappoint (someone)



let go(死心/放棄)

A:He doesn't love you. Why don't you let go?
B:I don't believe what you said.

Or Why don't you give up?



Have mixed feelings(百感交集)

A:Why are you crying?
B:When I heard our Little Sam calling me Mom, I had mixed feelings.






(someone) is more than a match for me(我比不上升(某人))

A:You can beat Henry.
B:He is more than a match for me.




(someone is)past praying for (無藥可救)

A:She went back to her old way—dealing drugs.
B:She's really past praying for.

Or She's really a dead man.


What has (someone) got that I don't have?(到底我有什麼地方比不上他?)

A:She married Richard.
B:What has he got that I don't have?

Or Is he better than me?



(Someone) wouldn't dream of it(連做夢都不敢想)

A:Why don't you buy a house?
B:I wouldn't dream of it.

Or I have never thought of it.


You're my last hope(你是我最後的希望)

A:You're my last hope. Can I borrow your computer for typing my paper?
B:Oh, no. It's out of order a few hours ago.

Or Do something

沒有留言:

張貼留言