2012年5月31日 星期四

慣用語法Idioms(20)


There (he) is as large as life(就在這裡)

A:Dad, I can't find my toy soldier.
B:There he is as large as life.

Or He is right over there


(it is) a close call(好險呀)

A:Watch out! The car is behind you.
B:It's close call

Or What a close call


I guess so(大概是吧/可能吧)

A:Will she marry Vick?
B:I guess so.

Or Maybe.


Hey, you know what?(嘿,你知道嗎?)

A:Hey, you know what?
B:What?

Or guess what?







How awful!(真糟糕!)

A:George's cat was run over by car yesterday
B:How awful(it was)!

Or How terrible!


How can you be so sure?(你怎麼能如此肯定呢?)

A:How can you be so sure that David will sell he house?
B:Because my brother bought it last week.

.



How do you figure that?(你怎會有這種想法)

A:Look at the scar on his head. He must have had a fight with his wife.
B:How do you figure that?

Or Why do you have such idea?



I should have known(我早該知道的)

A:she helped your brother just for money.
B:I should have known she was just using him.













I suppose not(我想不會吧)

A:Will they move to Taipei?
B:i suppose not.

Or I don't think so


It's a shame!(真可惜)

A:It's a shame they couldn't come last night. Jack made a big dinner.
B:Really? It's a shame!

Or What's a shame!


It's a small world.(世界真小/狹路相逢)

A:Do you know the man on the picture? He's my idol.
B:It's a small world. He's my brother.

Or the world is so small



It must be an inside job.(肯定是內賊所為)

A:They lost a lot of money because they didn't get the case.
B:It must be an inside job to do it.

Or there must be a hidden traitor










Just as I thought(正如我所料)

A:Peter is a jerk. He left Lisa without saying goodbye.
B:Just as I thought.

Or just what I thought



Just what do you mean by this?(這是什麼意思)

A:I want to cancel the wedding.
B:Just what do you mean by this?

Or What do you mean y that?


That's odd!(真奇怪呀!)

A:Where is Jeff? That's odd! He should be here at 9:00.
B:Here he comes.

Or That's strange

Oh brother!(老天啊!)

A:Oh brother!
B:What's up?

Or Oh my god/Oh dear/Oh man/oh boy/Oh gosh/Oh my goodness










(it's) shame on (someone)(真丟臉)

A:How could you treat your parents like that? Shame on you.
B:Sorry.





That's for me!(是我的!/正是我喜歡的!)

A:Don't answer the phone. That's for me.
B:Go ahead.

Or It's for me



That's new to me.(真是新聞啊)

A:He's preparing for the final exam.
B:That's news to me.

Or I'm surprised.




That's the way it goes.(事情往往就是這樣)

A:She spent all the money her ex-husband gave her.
B:That's the way it goes.










There's neither rhyme nor reason to(完全没有道理)

A:There's neither rhyme nor reason for her to set the fire.
B:It's really odd.

Or It's strange that..



This is (really) living(這才是人過的日子)

A:Nice cars, wine, and sexy girls. Look at those rich men.
B:This is really living.

Or That's Paradise.



What a line!(多麼動聽的話)

A:I can't live without you. I love you so much.
B:What a line!

Or It's touching




What a pity!(真可惜)

A:I can't go, sorry.
B:What a pity!

Or What a shame!






What a shame!(太可惜了)

A:Let's have a rain check.
B:What a shame!

Or What a pity!



What a waste!(真是糟塌啊)

A:Look at these second-hand TVs. They're working.
B:What a waste!

Or It's a waste!




沒有留言:

張貼留言