2012年5月31日 星期四

慣用語法Idioms(14)


goes against (one's) grain(不合某人的個性)

A:Do you want to gamble?
B:No, it goes against my grain.

Or I don't like to do it


Be a man(拿出大丈夫氣概來)

A:I don't think it's proper to ask her out.
B:Be a man. Just ask!

Or Don't be afraid


(be) hard-headed(頑固)

A:Why does your son have an earring on him? He's a boy!
B:don't be so hard-headed!

Or Don't be so stubborn


(to) have a heart of gold(心地善良)

A:Everyone likes Lucy.
B:She has a heart of gold.

Or kindhearted










That isn't like you(這不像是你)

A:I'm beat. I want to quit my job.
B:This isn't like you



Like father, like son(有其父必有其子)

A:Frank likes to go fishing as his father does.
B:Like father, like son.




A long face(臭臉)

A:What's wrong with Susan? She got a long face this morning.
B:She has a fight with our boss

Or upset


too many irons in the fire(野心太大)

A:What would you say about Mike?
B:He has too many irons in the fire.

Or too ambitious












(be) made of the milk of human kindness(很有同情心)

A:Hey, do you know that girl?
B:Of course. She's made of the milk of human kindness.

Or very compassionate


(something) is my cup of tea(正合我心意)

A:Do you like the pearl necklace?
B:It is my cup of tea.

Or It's what I want


(be) penny wise and pound foolish(斤斤計較)

A:I can't stand her any longer. She's penny wise and pound foolish.
B:Hey, take it easy. They're only clothes and make-ups.

Or she's narrow-minded.


Sing the same song(志同道合/處境相同)

A:I think his pink shirt is sick.
B:Me too. We sing the same song

Or sing the same tone










take the wrong attitude(態度不對)

A:I worked very hard, but I wasn't promoted.
B:You took the wrong attitude.

Or (to) have improper manners


think big(胸懷大志)

A:I just want to run a small shop.
B:A young man should think big.

Or have ambition


(be) too ready to suspect(疑心太重)

A:Who's the woman behind us?
B:John's wife. She's too ready to suspect. She suspects all the women talking to her husband.

Or (be) too quick to suspect


up-and-coming(積極進取)

A:He's an up-and-coming young man.
B:That's why Mr. Chart asked him to take charged of the company.

Or a spring chicken(生手的人)








You don't have to yell(用不著窮吼)

A:That's my sandwich!
B:You don't have to yell!

Or What are you yelling for?

沒有留言:

張貼留言