2012年5月31日 星期四

慣用語法Idioms(1)


All that glitters is not gold (中看未必中用)

A:The watch look great.
B:All that glitters is not gold.

Or Pretty things are not necessarily useful


Behave yourself (檢點一些/別亂來)

A:Officer,get your hands off.
B:Hey,behave yourself,or I'll put you in jail.

Or Act right

(Someone should) be tactful (圓滑一點)

A:I screwed up the case again.
B:Give you a tip:When you talk to a customer,be tactful

Or Be diplomatic

Don't be so sure! (別太過於自信)

A:Allen will marry Kate.
B:Don't be so sure!

Or Are you sure?





Don't impose your opinions upon others
(別硬要別人聴你的)

A:I think you should save money and invest it on stocks and funds.
B:Don't impose your opinions upon others. You're not my mom.

Or Don't force your opinions upon others

Don't take any chances(不要冒險)

A:John said he would finish the last part of the paper.
B:Don't take any chances. He's very busy with his new girlfriend at the moment.

Or Don't take a risk

Don't push your luck(別太仗恃你的運氣)

A:I got away with the cops again.
B:Don't push your luck. There's no “always.”

Or Don't rely your luck.

Fasten your seat belt(請繫好安全帶)

A:fasten your seat belt. We're rolling(we got to go)
B:Hey,don't drive so fast.







Don't get too excited(別太興奮/別太激動)

A:Do you know Helen will come next minute?
B:I know you're in love, but don't get too excited. OK?

Or Calm down


Get off one's back(少惹某人)

A:It seems that Mom is in a bad mood.
B:You'd better get off her back

Or You'd better not bother (somebody).


Have a go at (something)(嘗試一下)

A:I don't like raw fish.
B:You should have a go at it.

Or Give (something) a try


The heck with it(算了)

A:I've asked him many times to move his car away,but he's never done it.
B:The heck with it! We can go from another way.

Or Forget it




How about a second round(再來一杯如何)

A:How about a second round?
B:Thanks. I have had enough tonight.

Or How about another drink?


If you can't beat them,join them.(如果你贏不了他們,就加入他們吧)

A:I don't like cooking society.
B:That's the only club in school. If you can't beat them,join them.


Keep your pants on(沈住氣/忍耐點)

A:When will we sell the stocks?
B:Keep your pants on.

Or Be patient


Let sleeping dogs lie(不要過問/少惹事)

A:The Browns are fighting at midnight. What should we do?
B:Let sleeping dogs lie.

Or Keep your nose out of this









Let's get a bite(我們隨便吃點東西吧)

A:I'm so hungry.
B:Let's get a bite.

Or Let's get some food to eat


Let's get down to business(言歸正傳)

A:Let's get down to business.
B:About what?

Or Let's start something serious



Let's go for a ride(去兜風)

A:I'm tired of watching videos.
B:Let's go for a ride.

Or Let's go for a cruise.



Be reasonable(講理一點)

A:I don't want to share the room with her.
B:Betty, you should be more reasonable.












Save your breath!(別浪費口舌/省點力氣吧)

A:If you buy the insurance, it will do you much good.
B:Save your breath! I have no interest in it.


Watch your step!(小心走路/小心)

A:Can I go upstairs?
B:Sure. There's a toy on the way. Watch your step.



Be a good sport(要有團隊精神/樂於合作)

A:I want to quit.
B:Be a good sport.

Or Cooperate with others


Cheer up!(提起精神/振作/別灰心/加油)

A:We lost.
B:Hey, cheer up! It's not a big deal.

Or Keep your chin up


沒有留言:

張貼留言